Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Waiting Game?

Lately I’ve been hearing a lot of people getting together, married, or relationships improving. Some of these people have been dating and/or having relations (shout out to Bill) long-term, but in between the start date and the current, there has been a lot of B.S. I love hearing and seeing someone happy, however what must a girl go through with her man to get there?! Why are girls going through so much to be in a normal, healthy, loving relationship with someone; shouldn’t that just be the default, instead of the goal? Is The Dating Game really The Waiting Game???

A guy friend told me one of our friends was engaged to his girl, whom he has cheated on a gazillion times, in which my friend said “she earned that ring.” WHAT!? So I can’t get the ring because I’m awesome and you love me? You have to cheat first, and make me cry, and break my heart a few times THEN give me what I deserve? Ummm *confused BBM face*. Why do I get the wedding AFTER you have kids with someone else? Why do I get your love AFTER you’ve given all of your lust away? Why do we have to wait for you?

I don’t want to be one of those 35-year old single black women complaining about the dating pool, but I also don’t want to be a in relationship or married to someone who has disappointed me a billion times. No matter how much you love the man, you’re settling for him! It’s like saying “I love you sooo much more than I do myself that I’ll take whatever you give me until it’s what I want.” Why? You really don’t think you can be with someone else? Whatever happened to "There's plenty of fish in the sea”!?

I get two people growing together, I get a man having his fears and I get putting up with someone because I’m sure whoever I marry would have put up with some of my antics along the way. I also get sticking it out to some degree; however some things are just not worth sticking through. Some things are just not cool enough to put up with. At some point, you have to have a certain level of respect for yourself that wouldn’t even allow you to be with someone after they’ve betrayed you/cheated on you/constantly lied to you/disregarded you/abused you/whatever he did that made you feel like shit.

Happiness is not something you should have to wait for. Happiness is not a privilege or a goal. Even if at the end of all the shitty days the sun does come out; how worth it was the journey?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I was just explaining this to a friend. You should love yourself enough not to be with someone who didn't care enough about you to consider your heart in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is so where I was at with my last relationship. Why should I wait for YOU to decide if you want to continue to be in a relationship with me?? *On to the next One*
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good read!!!

    I happen to agree...I find this theory to be why I'm still single. I always say...I think I'm too young to say there aren't good men out there. But certain things I'm just not gonna put up with. My sister has been with the same person for 17 years. He's cheated, lied, massacred her heart...but they're still together and she still loves him. I personally believe she's in love with the hope of what she thinks he can be versus what he actually is....but that's a whole other story. I shake my head and say that could never be me. I dunno....I can't do the nonsense. Forgiving isn't my strong point. Little things...ok. But the cheating and lying...NOT. Once will be the first and the last....

    But then again...I'm single. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Di, were you talking to me lol. Damn. One of my favs so far.

    ReplyDelete