Sunday, September 12, 2010

La Vie en Rose

On most mornings I sing in the shower. Mainly because that's the only time I sound "good" singing. My "shower karaoke playlist" consists of 90s and early 2000 R&B songs that in my own mind I sound great singing. Yesterday I started with SWV "Weak." I'm actually a fairly good Coko, with bathroom acoustics and running water to drown out my real voice. After "Weak" and Usher's "You Remind Me," I started singing one of my favorite songs by Missy, which sad to say is "Beep Me 911." As I was singing and because I know majority of the words, I tried my hand at Magoo's verse. As I got to the end I realized something profound. WOMEN ARE STUPID!

In "Beep Me 911" Missy is basically singing her heart out to a guy who is leaving her. She's asking, "What have I done?" Then she tries to guilt him with a myriad of "I gave up clubs and parties...I did this for you, I did that," all to no avail because once Magoo starts rapping its clear their relationship is over. Magoo ends his verse with these three lines. And seriously, Read. This. Slowly.

Girl, get yo mind checked

Take the time, recollect

I just gave you disrespect

Do you know what this means? Ok, I'll tell you. While "Beep Me 911" won't go down in history as one of the greatest songs ever. This song, if you dissect things like me, can really put things in perspective in your dating life. How many times have you missed someone, thinking about all the good times, and wondering what part you played in things going downhill? Probably too many times. Women have a way of only seeing the good, and over-emphasizing it so much that when a relationship is over, we feel like we are now missing out! This is not true. Take the time to recollect, he just gave you disrespect! (Note: This is extreme, but I'm making a point. Most relationships end because you're just with the wrong person, even if you both try.)

If things we're so good in your relationship...it wouldn't be over or ending (slowly). If things were so good, you wouldn't have cried last night, and you probably wouldn't cry later this afternoon. If things we're so good, you wouldn't be alone reminiscing on the good times, you'd be making more good times right now.

Don't view your relationships La Vie En Rose. "Life in pink", "Rose-colored glasses", "Only the positive"...I can go on with phrases that say "Shit is all good." It's not. Being realistic doesn't make you negative, it makes you an adult. See things and people for exactly what and who they are. If someone is leaving you, they don't want to be with you. Oh well! If he's cheating on you, he doesn't respect you, so why are you staying? It's probably because in 1998, you didn't take Magoo's verse seriously! Lol.

On a more honest note: Listen to a man's words, and more importantly, his actions and not your own hopes and desires. Be realistic....it's easier in the long run.

1 comment:

  1. This is so so so soooooo very true. I think I needed to HEAR this. Ive known for quite some time that my BD wasn't in my league or even deserving of the woman I am and all that I have to offer. He's never really been on my level. But he was my first love that for so long I couldn't shake off. Like J. Sullivan sings 'I just kept going back'. But prior to reading this and even now that I have read this, I know for certain that there is nothing there (except a child now). We'll always have a relationship because of our daughter and because I looooove his family (and him too but not nearly as much lol) but the possibility of 'us' is entirely exhausted. I cant keep holding on to that 'happier time' that was soooo long ago and holding on to him because my 'hope' is high. Life is too short and Im too smart to be sooo stuck of stupid about this negro!

    Thanks so much. Im a devout follower of your blog from this day onward!!

    ReplyDelete