Monday, April 5, 2010

Don't Be The Popeye's Chicken Lady!!!


I know by now you all have seen/heard those dreadful Popeye's Chicken commercials with someone's country Auntie exclaiming about how great her chicken is. "Ooh chile' we got seeznins, mouth-watering grease (blah blah blah)...we got the best bonafide chicken around!!!" I shed a single tear every time I hear her voice, and not just because of the coonery of her chicken-selling, but the mere fact of over-hyping her product.

Girls, please don't be the Popeye's Chicken lady convincing the consumer (a man) of how great you are by running down a list of why you're great! Let the product (your actions) speak for itself. This approach never ever ever works and why would it! Basically, you set yourself up for these over-the-top expectations of who you will be in a relationship and you'll always be competing with yourself to be consistent with your "Im the bomb, this is why" list. Then, he'll be so turned off by you being your own hype man, that eventually both your words and actions will mean very little to him. Unfortunately, I know!

I had a bad habit, mostly in or after a fight, where I would do a run-down of "Im smart, Im pretty, I did this for you, I did that" Yeaaa, that didn't work out too well. I basically de-valued my future good deeds by being such a bitch and throwing my so-called "greatness" in someone's face.

At the end of the day, if you are really all these great things, words would never do them justice: just show it! Being your own hype man basically translates into "Hey, Im really insecure so I have to say this to not only convince you, but myself too." Don't be insecure.

Nothing is sexier than silent confidence =)

No comments:

Post a Comment