Saturday, April 3, 2010

Double Dipping



Take one dip and end it?!

Is it possible to date someone from your past and get it right the second time around, or would you just be bringing back the old bacteria from before that caused the split in the first place? There's a book I read a few years ago (don't laugh), "Its Called A Breakup Because It's Broken" written by the same guy who wrote "He's Just Not That Into You." The book highlights moving on from relationships that did not work for the simple fact that THEY DID NOT WORK!

I believe there are two factors: timing and desire (in my case boredom) that work together to get the best results in a relationship, and if one of those things are off, it could leave the relationship ending in a "let's just be friends" conversation. I have lotssss of those! I am friends with almost every ex-boyfriend, ex-boo, ex-whatever, I have had since the 8th grade! I am like a collector of...boys (ugh). It's not that I have an issue with letting go, they just don't seem to ever really leave. Most of them, the thought of getting back together is beyond laughable, but then there is a very small few, the most recent of course that I feel maybe about. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea, it's comfortable, we're friends, we still like eachother, it's not long distance anymore, he's happier at his job, he broke up with his girl (insert your reason here)...hmmmmmm.

Think about it. Why did it end in the first place? Even if it was a silly reason at the time, there was a core and real reason why the silly thing made one or both people decide that not being together was the BETTER option. While the ego is motivated by "you're gonna want me back," if and when that relationship re-visit becomes an option, how successful could it possibly be? If it didn't work out the first time are you really just biding your time before it won't work out again?

Anything is possible. I am not a love-hater. I think if two people really love eachother and are on the same accord with what they want, a better relationship could be the result. Look at J.Lo and Marc Anthony. She dated him before Diddy and now they are married with two ok-looking children (sorry I'm real). So that's one couple...but for every one of those there are many more that just don't work, no matter how many rides.

I personally would rather just meet someone new, but still I ponder if the small desire of another taste is worth the germs of double dipping????

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. First of all... HAHAHAHA @ the Seinfeld clip! Loved that show :)

    Man... double-dipping. I have to say, I'm guilty. But I think its just a gamble that some ppl take and others dont'. Sometimes, double-dipping works. Sometimes the timing or semantics are just off and a after a period of time, one ya'll get's your stuff together and the relationship works better. However sometimes you just bring all the germs back. It's a gamble.

    ReplyDelete